Timber Sash Windows Repair & Draught Proofing In Tooting London SW17
Sash Window Repairs, Refurbishment & Installation in Tooting
We provide a complete sash window repair service in Tooting, SW17. We can help with anything from a simple sash cord replacement through to a complete refurbishment. No job is too big or too small – we are happy to help with single windows or entire houses front and back. Call us today on 020 8395 1916 for more information or to book a free quote.
Common Problems with Sash Windows
Period properties need a bit of extra care when it comes to the original wooden sash windows; years of rain and wind, heat and cold take their toll. Here are some of the most common problems we are called out to look at in Tooting:
- Worn or broken sash cords
- Windows stuck or hard to open
- Soft or rotting timber
- Swollen or shrunken window frames
- Leaks damaging interior decoration
- Loose or broken joints
- Rattles and draughts
- Build up of or flaking paint
Sash Window Repair Customer Reviews
"Cannot recommend more highly. Phil provided advice over the phone over the Christmas period to sort out a jammed sash window. This meant we didn't have to use an expensive out of hours glazier to fix the issue on Christmas Eve. He then followed up (after Christmas) to find a convenient date to send around one of his team to do the job. The guy he sent was punctual, friendly and professional. A class outfit that I'll definitely be using going forward."
“Extremely efficient and responsive, all work conducted as estimated to a really excellent standard. Highly recommended - we are very happy with the work, which involved replacement of one large sash window and refurbishment of 8 others.”
Sash Window Repair or Restoration Process
We specialise in wood sash window renovations and with years of experience we have perfected our refurbishment process. We are meticulous and take great care and pride in our work, providing you not only with beautiful windows but a guarantee that your windows are weatherproof, leakproof and draught-proof.
- Restore or replace rotten timber. Any ingress of water over the years will have caused damage to the wood. We will rake out and then fill any wood that is too damaged to save. In some cases, we will replace whole sections of wood if required.
- Remove any build-up of paint within the box frames by burning off the old paint from inside the pulley stile.
- Once the wooden parts of the window are restored, we will ensure the full functionality of the window. This includes repairing or replacing the sash cords and weights.
- We then ensure the box sash moves easily up and down within the frames and add beading in and around the box frames to keep them snug and prevent those rattles.
- Add our proven draught proofing system – brushpile keeps those draughts out.
- Replace the fasteners and sash lifts in the finish of your choice to complete the look.
Sash Window Replacement
If your sash windows are beyond repair, we can advise you on this when we visit, we can replace them with new wooden double-glazed sash windows. We offer a wide range of colours and style choices to suit your preferences, whether you prefer a classic look or something more contemporary.
All our windows come fully finished, meaning you won’t need to worry about the expense of calling additional contractors in.
Why Choose Novells?
There are many companies out there offering sash window services, so why choose us?
- We are local, prompt and friendly.
- We have very good customer testimonials and reviews
- We specialise in sash windows and have years of experience.
- We can work on listed buildings.
- We treat your home with respect. We cover your furniture and flooring to protect it and tidy up after ourselves.
- We are a FENSA registered company.
- We stand by our free quotes and never give you an extra cost you were not expecting.
- All of our box sash windows are made in England.
- All our windows are built using sustainable grade A timber.
- All of our new box sash windows meet current UK building regulations.
- We offer an insurance backed guarantee with the glass and glazing federation insurance scheme.
- We are proud to be an independent family run firm.
Sash Window Repair Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Sash Cords?
Sash cords, also known as sash ropes are the vital part of the sash window that enables the window to open and close in a gliding motion. The cord takes the weight of the window, so when the cords break, the windows will be extremely difficult to operate.
If you’re experiencing these difficulties, it could be that the sash cord is broken or worn, get in touch with us today to book a home visit.
How Much Does a Sash Window Repair Cost?
The cost of the repair or refurbishment of your sash window depends on the severity of the repairs needed. Sash cords can be a quick simple job, but replacing sections of rotten wood will take us a lot longer.
At Novells, we don’t believe in hidden costs or surprise bills, we stand by our quotes to give you an exact costing before work goes ahead.
Can I Repair My Own Sash Windows?
When it comes to sash window repair, some homeowners do opt for a DIY approach and if you have carpentry skills you can certainly give it a go. However, without the proper expertise, this can do more harm than good, and we have been called out before to assist a DIYer who had got into difficulties.
We are more than happy to let you paint them after we have finished the repairs!
Sash Repair Specialists Tooting
If you’re looking for an experienced, local company to repair, refurbish or replace your sash windows and would like a free estimate, get in touch with us today. Call now on 020 8395 1916 or fill out the form below to request a call back from one of the team.
Request a Call-Back
Double glazed sashes fitted to existing box frames
Traditional Period Timber Front Doors In Tooting
Designed to your requirements complete with frame we specialise in the following architectural eras:
Early Georgian, Late Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian and 1920's / 1930's
"Hi Phil Just wanted to drop you an email to say how amazing the windows look. We are utterly thrilled with them and make the house look totally different. John was punctual and tidy and it was a pleasure to have him here." Annie
"I would like to thank you and especially John for his quality of work and attention to details. The work was done without any disturbance to our life despite the cold (November). I can only praise John's attitude to his work, attention to details and tidiness at the end of each day. I shall recommend your work to any body and if you require references in the area, please do not hesitate." Mrs Winter
"I can't believe I lived for 10 years with a set of sash windows that were either inoperable, draughty or difficult and risky to open and close - when it took Novells only a couple of days to restore all of them to the point where they silently glide like new. I cannot recommend Novells highly enough. I'd originally asked Philip, the owner of the company, to replace a broken cord in one of the windows and to leave it at that. I thought it would be way too expensive to restore the full set of seven Victorian sash windows in my flat. Not true. Getting my windows restored and draft proofed is the best value investment I have made in my flat. Novells are friendly, professional and top quality at a very fair price. I wish I'd come across Novells 10 years ago." Alan
"Thanks again for doing a brilliant job on the windows, they've turned out better than we ever expected. Please feel free to send prospective clients looking for a reference our way" Colm
"Many thanks for doing a fantastic job on our bathroom windows, I'm absolutely delighted with the work. Thanks also for being so professional – it's always a worry letting someone into your home when you have to go out for the day but we could trust you completely. Thanks again for a great job, I'm sure we will be contacting you again" Dave